2014 Open House
Saturday, Sept. 20, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Parking FREE with online registration
Get a taste of outdoor science, and meet the scientists doing it! Learn about the natural world while exploring the water, docks and forests of the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center, a living laboratory on the Chesapeake. Chat with SERC ecologists about what they've discovered doing research around the Bay. Here's a sampling of what your family can see and do:
- The Forest: Learn how the forest works and its impact on the landscape on a hayride through the SERC woods.
- The Water: Visit an oyster bar, go crabbing and take a seine net into the Rhode River. Waders provided: No swim gear or experience necessary!
- The Mathias Lab: Explore SERC's new state-of-the-art laboratory and learn about its environmentally sustainable features.
- The Living Lab: Discover connections between ecosystems and learn from ecologists how humans have the power to change them.
- Boat Rides aboard the beautiful Richard Lee ($5/person ages 4 and over; preregistration recommended)
- Kids Crafts and Face Painting
Register online for free parking starting August 1. Parking will be $10/car for those not preregistered. Food and drinks will be available for purchase.
Special thanks to the Chaney Foundation for sponsoring the event!